Monday, April 8, 2013

Photoshop Elements and My Mother

On a road trip to visit my mother, who I thought was dying, I browsed through photos taken in my old hometown- Littleton, Colorado. I came across this photo of a trail through a tunnel.

Lilley Gulch Trail
Littleton, Colorado 2006
This photo invoked various pleasant memories. I reminisced about riding my bicycle on numerous occasions during our time raising the family in Littleton.

It also reminded me of how I learned to use the shadows/highlights adjustment tool in Photoshop Elements. When I took this photo, the bright area outside of the tunnel was completely washed out. By using the Enhance-Adjust Lighting-Shadows/Highlights tool, and sliding up the highlights,  I was able to increase the visible information on both the tunnel walls, and the opening to the outside. Now I could see the amazing details of the stones and colored graffiti, as well as the bushes.  It made the photo more dramatic.

Speaking of drama, as I post this, I realized the connection between this photo and my mother. I drove to Littleton so that I could check on her health status, which had reached a crisis. I was pleased to find her in better condition that I expected. She was regaining strength, and the prognosis contained "elements" of hope. I found a bright light at the end of a dark tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment